Monday 10 October 2011

Psalms I love: Psalms 66

Hello Wonderful People!!!!!

How did the weekend go?

Mine was fine;busy;but fine.

It seems I'll have 3 posts in this week...Somebody shout Hallelujah!!!!!

Yesterday I was re-introduced to a Psalm I must have read before. However a verse from the psalm was read during service yesterday and prompted me to read the whole psalm.

Trust me to do some research on it. (Insert what's app smiling face smiley)

'Praise is the topic, and the subjects for song are the Lord's great works, his gracious benefits, his faithful deliverances, and all his dealings with his people, brought to a close by a personal testimony to special kindness received by the prophet bard himself. Ps 66:1-4 are a kind of introductory hymn, calling upon all nations to praise God, and dictating to them the words of a suitable song. Ps 66:5-7 invite the beholder to "Come and see" the works of the Lord, pointing attention to the Red Sea, and perhaps the passage of Jordan. This suggests the similar position of the afflicted people which is described, and its joyful issue predicted, Ps 66:8-12. The singer then becomes personal, and confesses his own obligations to the Lord (Ps 66:13-15); and, bursting forth with a vehement "Come and hear, "declares with thanksgiving the special favour of the Lord to himself, Ps 66:16-20.'

(Excerpt gotten from The Treasury of David by Charles H. Spurgeon)

This Psalm is made up of 20 verses. My favourite verses are:

Verse 3: Say to God,
“How awesome are Your works!
Through the greatness of Your power
Your enemies shall submit themselves to You.


This for some reason just makes me want to burst out with joy. My God is Awesome and not only that but through the greatness of his power which is demonstrated in the works of creation and beyond, enemies submit themselves.

Kelly's Interpretation: When I am troubled all I need to remember is how Awesome and Great my God is: in remembering how great he is every problem becomes smaller compared to Him.

Verse 12: 'You have caused men to ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
But You brought us out to rich fulfilment.
'

Kelly's Interpretation: Even when I go through adverse situations I will always hold on knowing that God will surely bring me out better and brighter than before. Abundance is the word.

Verse 18: If I regard iniquity in my heart,
The Lord will not hear.


Kelly's Interpretation: At times when I sin the Lord does not hear and I become susceptible to the wiles of the enemy. Therefore I must always ask God to forgive me of my sins in order for my prayers to be answered.

Verse 19 and 20: 'But certainly God has heard me;
He has attended to the voice of my prayer.

Blessed be God,
Who has not turned away my prayer,
Nor His mercy from me!'


Kelly's Interpretation: Because we serve a merciful God He will attend to our prayers. We are his children created in His image. No good thing will he deny us. All Praise be to him.

The whole Psalm is power packed. I have only highlighted verses that jumped out at me. Please read the whole of it and let me know which verses jump out at you :-) or better still your own interpretation to the whole Psalm

Don't miss me
I'll be back soon
Yours with Love

VirtuousKelly
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment